Rosa's World

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Stop and...

Hi There!

I decided to take the afternoon off, as well as all day tomorrow.

As soon as I got home and had dinner - that's our noontime meal - I went into my sewing studio and decided to tackle a REAL old UFO (unfinished object).

It was my embroidered roses. I had started these probably in 2004 or 2005.
(Also read: Prairie Moon's Countdown)

I guess what kept it as a "UFO" was I couldn't figure out HOW to place them in a quilt and with what other fabrics, to match these blocks with their white backgrounds.
*scratching her head*

Kinda boring looking, all by themselves, on my design wall, eh?



But this last week, I realized that these blocks couldn't/wouldn't be the focal blocks... they HAD to be what I call the "plain" blocks!



And that's when I remembered the incredible stash of fabrics that my friend Elaine had sent me last year. I had just barely touched the surface of her gift with "My Pink Quilt" that I had made and the greens and burgundies would go FANTASTIC with my embroidered roses!



Would you believe that I have never really made 9 patch blocks? At least, I can't remember purposely making them for an big quilt.



These are the 2 color ways that I used.



Now, by 6h30 (approx.), these embroidered blocks, as well as the 9 patch blocks were all pieced together.

(Note: These are ALL 12 inch square blocks, BTW.)

I will be adding mini frames and bigger frames, to make this lap quit more "squarish".

Stay tuned.



Once again, Elaine, thanks for that wonderful fabric stash!!!

Rosa


5 comments:

Barb said...

Wow...it is amazing what a little color did to those blocks, and you chose well!

Susan said...

You made some really good choices.

I sense your enthusiasm for this project now...... You will probably finish it soon.

Karen said...

Love the rose blocks and those 9-patches are perfect with it! Congrats on working on your UFO!

Shelly said...

Wow! Rosa! I'm so proud of you for your "executive decision". The quilt looks great. Doesn't it feel good to have another UFO almost finished? I'm off to cut the borders off my Sunbonnet Sue, thanks to you!

Cyn said...

What a great idea to use a 9 Patch. Looks wonderful... love the colors. Your 'roses' look very much at home in their 9-patch-garden!
Hugs,
/;-)