Rosa's World

Monday, April 19, 2010

Carnegie Rughookers

Hi There!

Okay, I promise that I'll leave you all alone with the rug hooking stuff..... s'just that I took a couple more pictures that I wanted to share with you all AND I wanted to show you the nice gifty that we all got, for attending this "Hook In"!

The "Hook In" was located in the Saint John Arts Centre, originally the "Saint John Free Public Library". This building was constructed in 1904 with funds donated by Andrew Carnegie.

It was built in the Beaux-Arts style from plans drawn by local architect, G. Ernest Fairweather.

The flooring has tiny little ceramic(?) tiles with lovely patterns, here and there.



Wouldn't this make a LOVELY (appliquéd) quilt corner?!??!



(Let me continue with this building's historical facts...)

The intricate stained glass skylight was designed by Frank Reardon of Halifax, Nova Scotia. In 1985, after years of being hidden by a dropped ceiling, the window was rediscovered, removed, cleaned and restored to its rightful dramatic setting over the rotunda-style foyer.



The Carnegie Rughookers named themselves after the beautiful Carnegie Building, home of the Saint John Arts Centre, where they meet to hook on Fridays. The mat pattern is based on the centre panel of the stained-glass ceiling above the foyer. This pattern is the first in what is hoped to be an annual series of patterns drawn from the lovely architectural details of the Carnegie Building.



Isn't this the COOLEST?!??!?

It's only about 8 inches square and they even asked us to work on it, during the year. NEXT year, at our annual "Hook In", we're supposed to bring this finished project along and there may even be a contest.

Okay, back to our regular sponsored program.

*VBG*

Have a great week!

Rosa

4 comments:

Frummie said...

Rosa, that window is beautiful. Charlie and I started taking stained glass lessons...I kept cutting myself...LOL

Susan In Texas said...

What a great window. I can't believe anyone (probably a committee) hid it behind a dropped ceiling. lol Glad it was rescued. I can't wait to see the window pattern when you are done with it.

Susan

Shelly said...

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one who runs around taking pictures of the floors and ceilings!

Anonymous said...

I just discovered that my great great grandfather made the stained glass panel. Can't wait to go see it! I get your rug is gorgeous! Nancy Reardon