Rosa's World

Saturday, January 1, 2011

2010 in Retrospect

Hi There!

I've decided to share with you what occurred in our lives during 2010... just like the media does. *s*
(POST NOTE: As I re-read what I had just written, I think we could call 2010 "The Year of Great Decisions".)

In February...
Our income got downsized - Gilbert's income dried up completely. He was desperately looking for more work.

In May...
We had the opportunity to purchase a 2nd hand, barely used, Longarm Gammill Plus and after many, MANY debates, we quickly jumped on that opportunity.
Many, MANY, MANY thanks to Frummie and Elaine, who have BOTH given us - and still continue to give us - incredible and priceless advice!!!



Gilbert named our Longarm "Bertha", and with a quick learning curve - meaning he practiced on my UFO's - we opened up his quilting business and neither of us have looked back since then.

At the beginning of May, we had a MAJOR re-organization at my work and to be honest, I didn't think I'd survive. It wasn't a very pleasant thing, and I fought it with tooth and nail but what can I say? It was either "go with the flow" or walk out the door. Since I've already told you that we were down to one salary.... well, you know that walking out the door certainly was NOT feasible!

Slowly but surely, I've been able to improve at work and things have settled into a routine, which I am now enjoying. *grin*


In June...
I had a blog contest and by a strange turn of events - too long to mention here - I made another "Best Friend" - Rosemary in Scotland!!!

I mean, seriously people... How many Best Friends can a person have, eh?!?!?

Never enough!
*VBG*

In August...
I entered FIVE quilts in one of our local quilt shows... and only because I wanted to show other quilters what Gilbert and "Bertha" could create!

And, believe it or not, it took an AWFUL LOT of work to get these quilts ready and STRESSFUL, did you ask?!?!?
Good grief! I even had nightmares about the show!!!
LOL

But, once again... is the glass half full or half empty, eh?

It was a great "boot in the patook"!

And would you believe that I had FINALLY finished my Dear Jane quilt?!?!?



No, I didn't win but the learning experience?
Absolutely PRICELESS!!!

In September...
"Thunder", our German Shepherd dog's health became progressively worst. By the time we made the decision to bring him to the Vet's, he was unable to walk on his hind legs and would drag himself either across the floor or on the ground outside... Yes, he was able to do this "thing" outside, but with extreme difficulty. I mean, what kind of life did this lovely dog have, at this point?!??!


(Picture taken in 2005)

So, we finally took Thunder to see the Vet, knowing full well what the outcome would be, unfortunately.

The Vet told us that Thunder had "Degenerative Myelopathy" and that he would never get better. According to this website, the person compares DM to human MS.

Once again, another tough decision. The brain said "yes" - it's not right to keep Thunder with us and let him suffer like that.... but the "heart" - well that's another thing.

I still ache whenever I see another German Shepherd or I finish off my pizza and see my crusts on my plate and I can't pass them onto Thunder. He LOVED pizza crusts! *s*

Will we get another dog?
Oh probably. And as our now ret'd Vet, Dr. Alexander once told us. "There's dogs and then, there's German Shepherds"

She too, loved that breed, as well.

And Gilbert loves mostly all breeds but he's still hell bent on German Shepherds and I love them, as well, but wouldn't a smaller dog be nice, too?!?!?

*long sigh*

But, right now,
our hearts need time to heal.
*s*

In October...
We made yet another difficult decision. It was obvious that Gilbert would be able to make a living from quilting and that he wouldn't be needing his car, since he was working from home. So, we sold my beautiful, bright yellow, sunshine-to-me, car. Yes, I KNOW this decision was a no-brainer - it was a good financial move but my heart still is in mourning. *s*



So far, we're surviving. We're still managing to pay our bills, still have a roof over our heads and there's plenty of food in the cupboard. Is the glass half full or half empty? Well, I think you all know that answer and YES, we CAN praise the Lord, for each and every day!
*VBG*

Also, during the month of October, I had to go to Prince Edward Island TWICE, for my work. And even though it was for work, Gilbert tagged along and we managed to have some free time to ourselves and enjoy the trip.

In November...
We had saved enough Air Mile points, which we had previously converted into Best Western Hotel gift cards. So, we took off for a long weekend up the north of my province and managed to go shopping across the border, into the USA one day and the next day, go into the province of Quebec for another fun day.

Two sleepies in a GREAT hotel?
Priceless, IMHO!!!

During this month, I joined "Curves", to try and loose weight and get into shape. Has it improved my life? Well, as I write this, I can honestly tell you that I've been slowly sliding back to where I was when I FIRST started wanting to change my health... and now weight 3 lbs MORE than when I first started, actually.

My fault - I haven't been going to Curves, haven't been watching my food and caloric intake. Yep! I only have myself to blame for this one... :-(

What's my 2011 resolution? Try to blog more often and....

Well, I think you and I BOTH know what needs to be done, here and as my friend Elaine pointed out, just because I pay my monthly "Curves" membership, doesn't necessarily mean that I'll loose weight - I gotta GO and do the exercises, too!!!

********************

My Wish for You in 2011


May peace break into your house and may thieves come to steal your debts.

May the pockets of your jeans become a magnet of $100 bills.

May love stick to your face like Vaseline and may laughter assault your lips!

May your clothes smell of success like smoking tires and may happiness slap you across the face and may your tears be that of joy.

May the problems you had, forget your home address!

In simple words ............


May 2011 be the best year of your life!!!



********************

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!!!!!!

Rosa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful summary of the year 2010 Rosa!

LOVE your sentiments for 2011...couldn't have said it any better myself!

Here's to a GREAT NEW YEAR (raises my glass of OJ...
Salute!

Hugs,

Elaine

Miriam said...

Happy New Year Rosa!!!!

quiltmom anna said...

I hope that you have a fabulous year Rosa- May the things that you are hoping and dreaming become yours.

I am sorry to read about the loss of your dog- Pets are such important parts of our lives-

Happy creating-
Best wishes to you and Gilbert in 2011.
Warmest regards,
Anna

LiteMotif said...

Happiest of New Years to you too Rosa.

Frummie said...

Wonderful blog today! I raise my glass of Grey Goose to you. Happy New Year. May this year bring you a bigger dose of everything grand.
Hugs,
Frummie

tich said...

What a wonderful post!! I can honestly say it was one of the best days in my life, when I posted on your blog - AND - my life has never been the same. Thanks, Rosa and Gilbert. You made such a wonderful change to the year.